2 packages frozen cut okra (10 oz each)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion (medium, coarsely chopped)
1 can tomatoes (14.5 ounces, diced, unsalted)
1 jalapeno pepper (fresh, or habanero chile, pierced 3 times with fork)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse okra in a colander under hot water.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Saute onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including juice) and chile, and boil. Stir the mixture for 8 minutes.
- Add okra and cook, gently stirring, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper and discard the chile.