1 yellow onion (chopped)
1 carrot (chopped or shredded)
1 green pepper (chopped)
1 pound ground turkey (or chicken)
1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces, unsalted)
1 can whole tomatoes (14.5 ounces, crushed)
4 cans mushrooms (2 ounces each, drained)
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns (split in half to make 12)
1. Saute onions, carrots, green pepper and ground turkey or chicken in a pan over medium-heat for 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, and seasonings and bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until thick.
5. Serve open-faced on toasted or plain whole-wheat buns.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
You can also use 8 ounce of fresh mushrooms instead of canned.
Learn more about: