3 1/2 cups red potatoes (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 head)
1 cup 1% or nonfat milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into quarters. Cook in boiling water or steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until it becomes clear, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage begins to brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Add cabbage mixture to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or large fork to reach desired texture. Serve warm.
- Use any all-purpose potatoes such as yellow or white. Russet potatoes are also good but you may want to peel through the rough skin after scrubbing them.
- Try adding cilantro on top for more flavor.
Learn more about: