3 cups water
1/4 pound beef round roast, thawed, sliced thinly
2 cans low-sodium pumpkin (about 30 ounces)
2 tablespoons maple syrup (or 2 tablespoons brown sugar)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup onions, diced
- In a medium-size pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add beef roast to boiling water. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, maple syrup, and pepper to pot. If using cinnamon, add that too. Mix well.
- Lower heat and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Put 2 teaspoons of onion on top of each bowl of soup. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking beef roast: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for beef roast is 145 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
See how to make this recipe and more on USDA’s MyPlate Kitchen YouTube site.