6 cups water
1/3 cup brown rice
3 bouillon cubes (low-sodium chicken or beef flavored, or 1 tablespoon low-sodium bouillon powder)
1 tablespoon oregano
8 ounces ground beef (90% lean, or turkey or chicken)
1 tomato (finely chopped)
1/2 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
1 egg (large)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups vegetable mix (chopped, fresh, carrots, celery, and spinach)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large pot, combine water, rice, bouillon cubes, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir to dissolve bouillon. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix ground meat, tomato, onion, egg, and salt. Form into 12 meatballs.
- Add meatballs to broth mixture and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked and rice and vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot.