- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 medium mango or apple
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or toasted coconut
- Cutting board
- Large bowl
- Large pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Sharp knife
- Small bowl
- In a large pot, add lentils. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Rinse, peel, and dice mango. Rinse and dice bell pepper.
- Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
- If using, rinse and chop cilantro. Chop walnuts or toasted coconut.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to whisk together lemon juice, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add cooked lentils, mango, and bell pepper. Mix well. If using, stir in herbs and nuts or coconut.