Here’s a favorite example of the mix-and-match principle: a main-dish salad that won’t leave you hungry since it’s packed with filling, delicious ingredients. If you like, you can swap in a favorite salad green for the romaine.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Salad servers or tongs
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, cored and chopped
- 1 English cucumber (the kind that comes wrapped in plastic), diced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 (5-ounce) cans white or light tuna, in water or oil, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup Chickpea Croutons
- 1⁄3 cup Garlicky Mustard Vinaigrette
Put all the ingredients in the bowl, toss, and serve right away or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
Click here for the Garlicky Mustard Vinaigrette recipe.
Add one of the following:
1 tomato, cored and chopped
1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 orange, peeled, seeded, and diced
1⁄4 cup chopped green or black olives