2 cups flour (all purpose)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk (low-fat)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (+ 1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil. Pour over flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
- On lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10-12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to ¾-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cookie cutter in flour between cuts. Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Recipe updated 2021.