2 cups Great Northern beans, dry
3 cups water
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 pound chicken, thawed, cut up, and skin removed from each piece
4 ounces ham, chopped (1/4 pound)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 cups water
1 cup tomatoes, diced, or 1/2 can, about 8 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- In a medium-size bowl, soak beans in 3 cups of water overnight.
- Drain the water and rinse beans.
- In a large pot, brown onion, chicken, and ham in oil over medium to high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add water, beans, and salt to pot. Mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and cook for about 1 hour. Stir pot every 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and vinegar to pot. Keep cooking over low heat for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Tip for cooking chicken: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.