1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cans (about 30 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
1 cup macaroni, uncooked
2 1/2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano (optional)
1 can (about 15 ounces) low-sodium kidney beans, drained
- In a large pan, cook ground beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add onion, green pepper, and tomatoes to ground beef and cook until onion turns light brown.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer. Add macaroni, tomato juice, spices, and beans to the pan. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir, and serve hot.
Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.