Carrots are usually orange, but have you ever seen them in other colors? There are purple, white, red, and yellow varieties too. You can use any color in this recipe, where the natural sugar in the carrots caramelizes to turn the vegetables dark, sweet, and crisp-edged.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Rimmed baking sheet
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Turn the oven on and set the heat to 400 degrees.
Put the carrots on the cutting board. Cut off a little bit from both ends, then cut each carrot into thirds.
Put the spears on the baking sheet, drizzle with the oil, and sprinkle with the salt. Using your clean hands, rub the carrot pieces until they’re lightly coated with oil.
Once the oven temperature has reached 400 degrees, carefully put the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the carrots are browned and crispy, 35 to 45 minutes. Serve right away.
- Add 1 or 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped, to the raw carrots.
- Add 1 teaspoon paprika, chili powder, or curry powder to the raw carrots.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or cilantro, basil, or mint leaves to the cooked fries.
- Drizzle the fries with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Drizzle the fries with 1 tablespoon plain yogurt.
- Roast the carrots whole!
Store carrots in a plastic bag in the refrigerator, where they’ll keep for a week at least.