1 can (about 12 ounces) tuna, drained
2 tablespoons lime (or lemon) juice
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup tomatoes, diced (or 2 tablespoons, about 2 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained)
1/2 cup apple, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 slices whole grain bread (or homemade bread)
1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon cayenne or jalapeño chilies, diced (optional)
3 slices pasteurized process American cheese, cut into halves
6 slices tomatoes
6 leaves lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine tuna, lime juice, onion, tomatoes, apple, celery, and pepper. Mix well.
- Toast the bread.
- Place 6 slices of toasted bread on a cookie sheet. Put an even amount of tuna mixture on top of each slice. If using parsley and chilies, add these too.
- Put ½ slice cheese on top of the tuna and bake for about 3 minutes.
- Add an extra slice of tomato and lettuce on top if you like.
- Serve hot.