A tasty and made-from-scratch soup that comes together quickly with the help of instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk.
4 cups broccoli (chopped)
1 onion (small, chopped)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
1 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
1/2 cup mashed potatoes, instant (prepare with water to make 1 cup potatoes; could also use 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes.)
salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or American)
- Wash hands.
- Combine broccoli, onion, and broth in large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk to soup. Slowly stir in potatoes.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper; stir in a little more milk or water if soup starts to become too thick.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon cheese over each serving.
Learn more about: