1/2 medium head lettuce
1 medium green bell pepper
1 large tomato
1 small jalapeno pepper
1 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
15 1/2 ounces can of black beans (no salt added)
1 pound lean ground beef (turkey or chicken)
2 2/3 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
8 whole wheat flour tortillas (6 inch)
dash ground black pepper
- Rinse lettuce, bell pepper, tomato, and jalapeño. Rinse and peel onion. Peel garlic.
- Chop or shred lettuce into bite size pieces. Mince garlic. Halve the jalapeño and bell peppers. Remove seeds with the tip of a knife. Dice peppers.
- Over a small bowl, grate tomato and onion using the coarse side of a box grater. Collect all pulp and juices.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- In a colander, drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, bell pepper, and garlic, until meat is lightly browned. Drain to remove fat.
- Stir in frozen corn, beans, water, and spices. Bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until most liquid is gone.
- While meat mixture is simmering, make a salsa. Add jalapeño and a pinch of salt to the grated tomato and onion. Stir and set aside.
- Divide the meat mixture evenly among the 8 tortillas. Top each with grated cheese, salsa, and lettuce. Roll up and serve.
– Use any type of cooked beans in place of the black beans.
– For a vegetarian option, use an extra can of drained and rinsed beans in place of the meat.
– To increase heat, leave a few seeds from the jalapeño in the salsa. Or, season with an extra pinch of cayenne pepper.
– Top with rinsed and chopped tomatoes, green onions, low-fat sour cream, or low-fat plain yogurt, if you like.