4 cod fillets (4 ounce each, can also use tilapia, sole, hake, flounder, or other white fish)
1/4 red onion (or scallions)
1 red pepper
1 celery stalk
Roma tomatoes (optional)
1/2 fennel (1/2 bulb)
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
thyme (fresh springs, optional)
basil (chopped, optional)
ginger (minced, optional)
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 teaspoons lemon juice
salt (to taste, optional)
pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut four large rectangles of parchment paper or aluminum foil and fold in half; unfold.
3. Put each fish fillet in a large square of parchment paper and season with salt and pepper.
4. Top fish with your choice of vegetables and seasonings.
5. Drizzle each packet with ½ teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
6. Fold the parchment paper or foil in half and then crimp around the edges tightly in 1/4-inch folds to create a half moon shape.
7. Using a spatula, transfer the packets to a baking sheet. Bake until the fish is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, about 10-12 minutes, depending the thickness of the fish.
Note: Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrient or cost analysis.
For a video demonstration of the preparation of this recipe, see: www.nutrition.gov/kidscook.
Learn more about: