1 tablespoon olive oil
2/3 onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups diced green chilies
2 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
1 1/2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Saute the chopped onion in the oil. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chilies, chicken broth, chicken and garlic powder. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch into about 1/4 cup of cold water until all the lumps are gone. Add to the chile and chicken mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Tear the tortillas into strips and divide into thirds. Add them to the pan and cook until they are hot, stirring with a spoon from time to time.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the enchiladas. Cover the pan and cook until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Learn more about: