This is one of those amazing vegetable recipes that makes something so delicious you can’t stop eating it — and you don’t need to! This makes a great side dish for just about anything, and the beans are good at room-temperature or cold too.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Heatproof spatula or wooden spoon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
- 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to low. When it is hot, add the oil.
Add the garlic and ginger (if using) and cook until they just start to color (they’ll get a little bit golden), about 30 seconds.
Add the beans and stir until they are lightly coated with the oil.
Add the water, raise the heat to high, and cook until the pan is almost dry, about 6 minutes.
Serve right away.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped toasted almonds or walnuts
- Add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (if you want to make it spicy)