6 cups water
4-6 handfuls corn shucks
2 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil over medium to high heat.
- Boil corn shucks for about 10 minutes. Remove carefully.
- Strip a few shucks into strings. Tie two strings together to make longer strings.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Keep mixing and slowly add a little water until the mixture is firm enough to handle easily.
- Form cornmeal mixture into 8 oval shaped balls about 3 inches long.
- Wrap the balls in corn shucks and tie the ends closed with the corn shuck strings.
- Gently put wrapped balls into the large pot of boiling water. The pot should be about 2/3 full of water. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 30-45 minutes over medium to high heat.
- Remove corn shuck covering and serve hot.
Tip: Spice up your bread with peppers, onions, and peas. It can be refrigerated and reheated in a pan or microwave oven.